Our school is located in a deceptively large former residential property on Oldham Road, Grasscroft, some two to three miles east of Oldham.
Built in 1900, the ground floor has several quite spacious rooms off a central hallway:
- Rooms 1 and 2 serve as large classrooms, each of 30+ square metres.
- Rooms 3 and 4 are smaller classrooms, one that doubles as the school library.
- Room 5 is an additional smaller classroom, perfect for our younger pupils.
- Room 6 is our most recently refurbished, bright and airy classroom.
- We also have a Sensory Room for quiet time, which provides access to female toilets.
- There’s a spacious dining room with kitchen resource beyond.
- We have a very large Conservatory with pool table, chairs, and numerous play areas with different equipment, where pupils and staff can relax and enjoy a bit of down time.
- Along the hallway, there are several staff and pupil work stations.
- A utility room, which doubles up as our Xbox room, and male toilets that are also accessed from the central hallway – as is the school front porch and staircase to the first floor.
- We also have a large double garage, which is ideal for storage.
The first floor provides a mezzanine office space, plus large staff room with its extensive storage space; staff toilets and the school office that is occupied by our Head of Learning and Head of Development.
We have a small play area with sand pit for our younger pupils and access to a secure outdoor patio area that is also the location for our greenhouse. To the front and sides of the property are gardens that contain a summer house/outdoor classroom, firepit and wildlife features.
With an optimum 8 (maximum 10) pupils, the property provides lots of space and areas for the 1:1 staff/pupil and small group activity that is a key feature of the autism education we provide at Bright Futures School.